Saturday, January 28, 2012

“teach the young women to be wise, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, sober, having a care of the house, gentle, obedient to their husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.”  Titus 2:4-5.
One of the things I am really thankful for is that just as I came into motherhood, I met a number of women in my community who were already practicing their vocation to homemaking.  They came from all political and religious backgrounds, and I am truly blessed to know them.  What amazes me about these women is that in spite of a huge cultural force against homemaking, these women decided to do it prior to becoming mothers, often as a founding principle of their marriage. 
As I mentioned before, I didn’t really have any positive models for homemakers in my life, and had never even considered that it would be my vocation.  I figured I would get married (although I did consider becoming a nun for a long time) and have kids, as people do, but that I would also continue to work.  I was really convinced I could have it all.  As that illusion started to fracture against the realities of motherhood and marriage, these women modeled for me another path, one that would work for my family.  They taught me what homemakers do, and how valuable their work is… and they did it for the most part without saying a word.
As I shift from high-powered career woman to homemaker who happens to work outside the home in order to keep her home secure, it has been so important to me to have the support of these women with their strong but gentle voices.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment